Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Confessions of a dirt cheapaholic

Hey yall! I hope everyone is doing well! If you are from the gulf south, you have heard, seen, or shopped at a Hudson’s Dirt Cheap. We will call this store DC for short. Dc is a liquidation store and they receive merchandise from stores that are going out of business, fire damaged, returns from department stores and things that the other stores cannot sell. There are several kinds of shopping styles, and in order to be a dirt cheapaholic, you have to have the ability to get in and dig. I promise that your finds will be well worth it and your treasures will be grand! I have purchased Vanity Fair and Vera Wang bra’s for $5.00 each, men’s Chaps dress shirts for $5.00 each, make-up for .$25 cents, Halloween costumes for my fur babies for $2.00. But my grandest find of all, a king sheet set for $10.00! It does take time to find these treasures but you have to stick with it and just dig! I recommend going to www.ilovedirtcheap.com and registering to receive emails of when new stock is in. Once you start shopping on a regular basis at DC, you will see a pattern of when certain items come in and you will notice that the percentage off will go down over time. When a new shipment is put out, I never shop that new shipment until it is 70% off the true value price. The majority of the time when a new shipment is put out it is marked down to 50% off only. When shopping in DC, you have to watch the starting prices as in my opinion that these prices sometimes can be raised above true value.

When purchasing electronics or anything that is powered, ALWAYS plug it in and make sure that it works. One day I purchased a digital antenna and did not test it, because they had a ton of them and I thought, surely they would not sell faulty antennas. The antenna had an amplifier that had a 12 volt plug.  When I went to plug my treasure in, the plug would not fit into the outlet on the antenna, I attempted to try several other plugs and all of them did not fit. I paid $7.00 for this antenna and had to take it as a loss, as there are no exchanges or returns. Also when purchasing anything that has parts make sure that all of the parts are included. I purchased a kit that taught you how to belly dance. It was supposed to include an instructional DVD, a red shawl, an instructional book and chimes that go on your index finger and thumb. This little treasure was so cute that I had to buy it and the price was right! I had been watching an inventory of text books, coloring books, early educational books and how to books. When I got home and opened my box, the DVD was missing and I was very upset. I am the kind of person that has to see something to learn it. I can’t just read a book without pictures and learn how to do it. After these two purchases, I vowed to myself that I would never buy anything that was not tested and examined to make sure it has all of the parts.
Another confession I have is that, I shop at more than one DC, five to be exact. When you add more stores than one, you are able to see the pattern of how merchandise comes in. For instance, the DC at home just received a new shipment of drug store merchandise. These types of shipments are my favorite to shop. One day, I found hair supplies marked down to 70% off, at the DC near the hunting camp. I decided to sit on it because the discount was not large enough and the inventory was big. Two weeks later, I decide to go to the DC at home to see what all they had. I was glad that I passed up the hair supplies two weeks ago, because they were marked down to 90% off!
Clothing is priced in a dollar amount instead of a percentage, as most merchandise. Majority of the time clothing will start off at $10.00 and will go down as low as .25 cents. While shopping at the DC at the hunting camp, I found Chaps men’s button up dress shirts at $10.00 and then found the same shirts at the DC at home $5.00. How, do you ask? Well it is simple. When DC purchases merchandise from the sellers, they purchase it by the truck loads. How long it sits on the floor, decides how low the price gets marked down. I have found identical pair of blue jeans be priced different and that is because one has been sitting longer than the other. It makes no sense, I know, but it works. How can you tell what is priced what? Do you recall the plastic piece that holds a price tag to a piece of clothing? This is what DC uses as price tags for clothing. The piece of plastic is attached to some part of the clothing. Each price level is a different color, so pay very close attention to your colors. While shopping for clothes and shoes, make sure to examine each item and make sure that the zippers work, no missing buttons and all seams are intact.
With a little planning and frequent trips to DC, you too will become a dirt cheapaholic. These tips that I have shared are just some of the few that I have noticed while shopping at DC and are solely my opinion. Now that you know my secrets, DIG IN!
Happy Digging
Backwoods Belle

No comments: