Friday, March 25, 2011

It’s a doggy’s world!

Hey yall! Hope everyone is doing well! I’m excited to share this story with you as I will be introducing you to each one of my babies. For those of you that know them, then you will agree that they are very special dogs. It’s so funny that I have a dog in each stage of life; I have a puppy that is four months old, an adult that is two years old, and a paw-paw who is eleven years.
On an October afternoon in 1999, I was blessed with the greatest gift, my first puppy which is a woman’s best friend. Little did I know that this adorable little fur ball would be with me for eleven years.  While I was cooking in the kitchen, someone knocked on my door. When I opened the door, there was my hubby holding a very small puppy. I have never seen a puppy like this before, as Red Heelers were not a popular breed. From the moment that my eyes met his, I knew that I was his mommy. My hubby named this puppy Rudy, after Rudy Ruettiger, because this puppy was the runt of the litter.
Fast forward eleven years and now he is paw-paw Rudy. He is grumpy, honoree, stiff and just a Grinch but we still love him.  He still loves to chew on tennis balls, catch carpenter bees in the spring and hunt.  Rudy has plenty of stories that he could tell if he could talk. Rudy has been attacked by a Russian Bore, swam in Katrina, he has been in jail a few times.  But his greatest story of all is titled Adventures of a Couch Potato!
My next nugget that I want to share with you is Josie Wells. Two years ago on a summer afternoon, my hubby called and said “run bath water I’m bringing home a puppy and she is covered in fleas”. My husband is not known for picking up stray dogs. When he was on his way home from work that afternoon, he saw a car stop on the side of the road and they threw out a frail puppy.  The hubby put the pedal to the metal and was unable to catch up with the car. So he turned around and went back to the puppy, when he opened the truck door, she jumped in.
When the hubby got home he had a little puppy that looked like a bag of bones. She was starved and her little sprit was gone. We bathed her and got all of the fleas and ticks off of her and wrapped her up in a towel.  That night my hubby told me that she was just a loaner and we had to find a home for her.  That night I fell in love with this puppy and she has been my sunshine ever since.
Over the next few weeks she put on weight and she got her sprit back. She is my love muffin and my princess JoJo.  Josie’s hobbies are: dressing up, playing with her brother, hunting rabbits at night and loving everyone.
My newest addition to the family is Toby Waylon. Toby is a mini Rat Terrier and is a bundle of joy! He is the easiest puppy that I have ever raised. Toby loves to play with his big sister Jojo and loves to aggravate his paw-paw Rudy. 
When I decided that I was going to add another puppy to our family, I did a lot of research and I wanted something small but with a lot of personality. Boy, did I pick the right breed to get because he has everything I was looking for. When I went to pick out the puppy, I was looking for a dark chocolate Rat Terrier with green eyes. The litter was split between dark chocolate and light chocolate Rats. I looked at four puppies and I was unable to make a connection with any of them. The breeder had one last puppy and he was in the kennel feeding. When she handed me this puppy he stared into my eyes and from that moment I knew he was mine. I went back several times before we brought him home and every time I did, he looked at me like he was my baby and he was just waiting to go home.
I hope you have enjoyed meeting my babies. Please look forward to many more stories of them. Have a great weekend everyone!

Sincerely,
Backwoods Belle

No comments: