Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Spring is here yall!

Hey y’all!  I hope everyone is doing well.  Spring is finally here and everything is blooming and growing here in the south.  I have so much that I want to do and write about.  My great hubby tilled the dirt for my garden yesterday afternoon and I cannot wait to get in it.  Our soil at home is not the best soil; it is sandy and loamy.  This will be the third year that we have planted a garden.  The first year all of the plants produced mini-veggies.  The second year did better and we were able to harvest from our garden, but the garden still did not exceed my expectations.  Gardening is hard work I tell you, especially when it is hot out and the humidity is 100%.  My plans this weekend for my garden is to weed, weed, and weed it until there are no weeds.  Then, I am going to till cow poop into my dirt and water and wait another week before I plant.  I am going to plant bell peppers, squash, tomatoes, eggplant, zucchini, green onions, banana peppers, cucumbers and corn.  These are the type of veggies that we eat the most.
With the cost of everything going up, I thought that it would be good to plant a garden and can my pickings.  With that being said, I am going to write about canning your own pickings and give you ideas on gifting canned pickings.  Last week my hubby brought home a can of green tomato relish and this was by far the best relish I have ever put in my tummy.
I have also been doing research on the Mayhaw berry.  Mayhaws grow best in moist soil near creek bottoms and river banks.  The fruit ripens in late April through May and this is why the tree got the name Mayhaw.  This berry is most commonly used to make jellies, jams and syrup.  The taste of the Mayhaw berry has been compared to a crab apple.  This weekend, Deb-Jean and I are going to set out on foot to find this delicate berry so we can make jelly, jams and syrup.  As soon as we locate these trees, I will post pictures and recipes on making your own yummies!

Happy Spring!
Backwoods belle

No comments: